Samba doesn't free network resource with XP clients

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Mar 2 03:06:08 GMT 2003

Charles Bueche wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK, I understand why this fix wasn't implemented as such, but still, my
> problem remain. Here is a copy of my post to samba at samba.org. Subject is
> "Samba doesn't free network resource with XP clients", and the previous
> post, on 21.2.03, title "2.2.7a breaks on ATM stack on AIX 4.3".
>
> I would appreciate having your opinion on the best way to solve this
> problem.

My opinion is that the best way to slove this problem is to figure out what
is causing it and then fix whatever is broken.

One random thought is to look at the "socket options" parameter in smb.conf
and enable SO_KEEPALIVE  ...or perhaps use the "keepalive" parameter.  I
don't know if these will fix anything because I can't tell from where I sit
what the problem really is.  I can't offer you any solutions if I don't know
what is actually wrong.  I can only offer guesses.

Good luck.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org