Meaning of 'idmap backend' ?

Mon Jun 30 15:18:24 GMT 2003

Hi!

In trying to understand the IDMAP, the concept of a remote IDMAP
somewhat puzzles me, at least as far as it is coded and commented:

Who is authoritative for mappings? Is it the local (or cache or
whatever) map? If this is the case then I don't see how the BDC
situation is decently handled. Simo, you had confirmed that you took
care of that decently.

Looking at idmap_set_mapping confuses me even more. We first update the
local mapping and then try to update the remote one with a puzzling
comment:

        /* Being able to update the remote cache is seldomly right.
	           Generally this is a forbidden operation. */

So who does ever update the remote mapping?

*confused*

Volker