CVS update: samba/source/nsswitch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 23 13:16:07 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 22:26, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2003, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > I really think we should get rid of 'security=ads'.  Is there any good
> > reason to keep it?
>
> It is used to test whether ir not we are trying to be an AD DC.
> I think this will be harder to tell without it.

I think a seperate, clearly marked 'developer' option would be the
better choice here.  So we can clearly document 'this breaks stuff'.

> And since 'security = ads' has had so much visibility in the 3.0
> snapshots, i would be loath to remove it at this stage of the game.

Yes - I should have just put up a patch months ago.  But even if we keep
it in as a synonym for 'domain', I think that we can create a much
easier user experience by dropping the whole thing...

Why should the user need to know the difference in our technical
implementation?  Instead, the user should be able to describe their
problem - I am running a domain member.

The rest we can auto-detect, based on how and what we joined at worst.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net