slow performance samba 2.2.7 with windows explorer on Win 2000 or Win NT4

kurt.dekesel at bayercropscience.com kurt.dekesel at bayercropscience.com
Mon Jun 16 16:01:53 GMT 2003

Hello,

I notice that when I copy  a small directory (150 kb) to a samba share
drive on Windows 2000, the performance is very slow. This is also the case
when using windows explorer on NT4. The samba share is made on a Sun
solaris 2.8 system and samba 2.2.7 is used. Copying the same directoy with
windows explorer (on the same pc !) to an samba share made on Sun Solaris
2.6, running samba 2.2.4 is faster. There are no network traffic problems.
The same test I did on a DOS prompt. The result of this test was the same
for both Sun solaris systems. So I think there is a problem with Win2000
explorer and  Samba 2.2.7. Do you have any idea what could be the
reason?met vriendelijke groeten / regards ,

Kurt De Kesel
Bayer BioScience N.V.
Information Technology
Nazarethse steenweg 77