samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sat Jun 14 23:48:01 GMT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:13:41PM +0900, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> >> So the questions:

> >> 1. Are we going to _require_ GNU's iconv at every site?  (I.e. refuse to
> >>    install samba if GNU iconv not already installed.)  I hope not.
> >I hope too. However, if something broken, it needs to be fixed. For broken
> >native iconv implementations OS vendors might be those who take
> >responsibility as well.

> For Japanese, there are several conversion rules between current
> codesets to Unicode, but this is NOT a bug, because Unicode Consortium
> has never released any mapping tables. Please refer to

> <http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/unicode-symbols-map2.html.en>

It's my understanding that round-trip conversion of CJK characters only
breaks if you use a different platform for each leg of the conversion.
If you have all NT+ clients or all Win9x-style clients, it shouldn't
matter how the server handles the character sets as long as it returns
it the same way it got it.  If you have a mix of NT and pre-NT clients,
however, it's probably best to disable unicode support on the server to
ensure all filenames pass through the same set of conversions.

> GNU libiconv has also problems. As I know, there are no iconv()s
> that can support *all* Japanese Windows characters correctly.
> I sent to mails to libiconv maintainer to modify GNU libiconv() to
> support characters used in Japanese Windows, but there are no reply
> now.

Are you again speaking of pre-NT versions of Windows?  Does the Japanese
edition of Win2K not use Unicode internally?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer