samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jun 13 15:51:20 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 06:18:26PM +0300, Toomas Soome wrote:
> Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> >Why do you not like to work with GNU iconv library?

> how many versions of GNU package X you need to have in your system to
> keep it up and running....

> please don't make samba to be another piece of free sw, which needs to
> have list of several pages of required packages, and supported versions
> are conflicting with another 10 "free software" packages and one needs
> to have all those conflicting packages to be installed to be able to
> work....

Instead, you would prefer Samba to internalize all the functionality of
GNU iconv and be responsible for maintaining it in parallel with the
upstream sources, because OS vendors aren't willing to provide a
reasonable iconv implementation and users aren't willing to download
two pieces of top notch software in place of one?  All for supporting
legacy systems (pre-NT clients, non-UTF8 servers)?

But talk is cheap -- in the time spent on this thread, someone could
probably implement a UCS2<->CP850 converter for Samba if they wanted. :)
Though I argued earlier that implementing additional converters is a
slippery slope, CP850 *is* a default, so it makes some sense to
implement it without implementing any of the others.  And an iconv check
for UCS2<->CP850 could still be used as a proxy for "I support
converting weird MS things to other weird things."

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer