samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Jun 12 03:09:28 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 04:06:21PM +0100, David Lee wrote:

> 2. The AC_TRY_RUN test in "configure.in" is based upon:
>       iconv_open("ASCII", "UCS-2LE");
>    But Solaris (at least), while having support for codeset conversions,
>    seems not to have any involving "ASCII".  There are plenty involving
>    "UCS-2LE" (and "UTF-8") and a small number involving "CP850"
>    So, based on this one limited test, "configure" erroneously concludes
>    that it cannot do chareset translation: clearly wrong.

Hmm, this is a detail that I missed on first reading.  This autoconf
test really doesn't seem to belong, because on my systems, I see that
Samba handles the conversion between UCS-2LE and ASCII *internally*,
even though the system iconv supports it!  One way or another this test
needs to be changed, because it's not testing for the features that are
actually used.  Changing it to iconv_open("CP850", "UCS-2LE") would make
for a much more useful better test.

It is required that the system iconv be able to support UCS-2LE, since
that's used internally by Samba as an intermediate encoding.  It just
doesn't make sense to test for ASCII, which Samba already knows how to
handle.

> o  Is "CP850" still the correct default for "param/loadparm.c"?

> o  Should "configure.in" try harder, using a variety of charsets,
>    including at least "ASCII", "UCS-2LE", "UTF-8", "CP850"?

Out of these, only the CP850<->UCS-2LE conversion would actually be
handed off to system iconv by Samba.

Can you confirm that changing the autoconf test to look for CP850
instead of ASCII fixes the problem on Solaris?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer