samba-3.0.0beta1 codeset issue on non-Linux

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jun 11 16:41:03 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 06:13:55PM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> > o  Given this more generous "configure" test, can configure then do some
> >    relevant "#define"s, so that "param/loadparm.c" can do something like:
> >       string_set(&Globals.dos_charset, <<CHARSET-FROM-CONFIGURE>>);
> I don't like the idea of having a default value for "dos charset" that
> is not consistent.

> Does anyone have objections against a builtin function for conversion
> to/from CP850?

Given that the dos charset functionality is only needed for Win9x/ME,
DOS, and older Samba clients, and given that CP850 only meets the
charset needs of a small subset of the world's population who wouldn't
also be content with ASCII, I wonder whether it's really worth the
effort to support internally to Samba?  And if you support CP850, why
not support the other codepages as well?  And then we have a complete
iconv reimplementation shipping with Samba, that someone has to
maintain... :)

Installing an iconv library on the host server that understands CP850 as
a character set name should address this limitation as well.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer