about samba in MPC823

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Jun 10 14:52:59 GMT 2003

Zhang Qiang MT-CN wrote:

> Hello, my friends:
>   I'm trying to get Samba-2.2.1a running on my MPC823 board.

Why not 2.2.8a?  There bug fixes between the two revs.

> I've got
> everything compiled and loaded into my target board successfully, when I
> invoke the following command:" /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L WinHost",
> it print "ERROR: Could not determine network interfaces, you must use a
> interfaces config line" and exit.  I can't find the way to solve this
> problem after some tries, could someone tell me how to overcome it? The
> kernel of my target board is 2.4.4. Thanks very much.

You need a "interfaces" line in your smb.conf config file.

The underlying problem is that smbclient cannot find a correct interface
from which to send messages.  I don't know why this would be the case,
unless your underlying TCP/IP network configuration is not correct somehow.
You'd probably need to run ifconfig to check that the interfaces are
correctly set up, and try pinging another device on your network.  Basic
stuff, I know, but your problem description is also quite basic.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org