Suggestion for RPM spec files in Samba

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Mon Jun 9 01:28:45 GMT 2003

I'm the nasty sort of person who habitually throws out the Redhat-supplied
samba RPMs - and instead builds from the latest stable Sambe release.

One thing that *always* bites me is the chkconfig code in the samba.spec file.

It contains (and has for many releases):

%post
/sbin/chkconfig --add smb
/sbin/chkconfig --add winbind
/sbin/chkconfig smb off
/sbin/chkconfig winbind off

This means after "upgrading" a working Samba server, it DISABLES Samba in
the /etc/rc.* scripts. Sadly enough, I never learn, so after upgrading Samba
on a server, I "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart" and think "that's that"... And
then a few months later, reboot the box and wonder why Samba is down ;-)

Is that code really needed? I mean, if I have Samba installed to start at
boot time - why should upgrading that make me go through the motions again?
IMHO I think those chkconfig's can be removed.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417