Multiprotocol data access and Samba

Antti Tikkanen antti.tikkanen at hut.fi
Mon Jun 2 13:26:23 GMT 2003

Hi all,

First of all thanks to everyone on the Samba team for putting out
something like Samba 3.0, it's starting to look really good.

My question is on multiprotocol access and Samba. In a situation
where the same files are shared with SMB/CIFS through Samba and
simultaneously with NFS, how does Samba cope with all the problems that
arise?

Mainly I'm talking about possible problems with locking that might
result in data corruption or other irregular behaviour. Has Samba
been designed to work in such an environment? Can anyone share
experiences in trying this? Any pointers to documentation are
also welcome.

Best regards,
Antti Tikkanen

Antti.Tikkanen at hut.fi