FIxed [was Re: Authentication through transitive trusts]

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Thu Jul 31 21:05:11 GMT 2003

Jerry et al:

THANK YOU for your efforts!  Here's what I've discovered so far with this
setup:

 PARENT
  +-- CAMP (mixed-mode)
  +-- KAMA (mixed-mode)
       +-- JAYA (native-mode)

Mixed-mode DCs

I know you said it must be native mode, but the DCs I was using were mixed
mode so I did some testing there first (once you change to native mode, you
can't go back).  I had 2 mixed-mode DCs that are both Win2000 SP3.

The mixed-mode DCs basically acted like previous builds except that
enumerating users/groups showed them from all transitive trusts if "Allow
trusted domains" is enabled.  That's nice.  Authentication works as before,
i.e., authenticates against the DC and its parent.

wbinfo -m shows the same (self and parent), but wbinfo --sequence shows
sequence numbers from transitive trusts, too (if "Allow trusted domains" is
enabled).

Native-mode DCs

If "Allow trusted domains" is enabled, all users/groups on all transitive
trusts are displayed.  Authentication works on all transitive trusts.  Yea!

If "Allow trusted domains" is disabled, only users/groups in the domain
joined show up.  Also, authentication only works on the joined domain.

Wish List

Is that how it *should* work?  Is there any way to enumerate users/groups
from the joined domain but authenticate against any domain?

We have a customer with 650+ domains.  Clearly, enumerating all those
suckers will be painful.  But if we join a "resource" domain, we'd want to
be able to authenticate against an "authentication" domain (that has all the
user accounts).

Also, do you think working with mixed-mode DCs is feasible?

Regardless, it's a big step forward -- thanks again.

Ken

Ken Cross

Network Storage Solutions
Phone 865.675.4070 ext 31