smbd holds 70% cpu

Anthony Liguori aliguor at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 31 14:39:12 GMT 2003

> And Linux gurus, what the heck is ERESTARTNOHAND? I
> can't find it in /usr/include... I did find ERESTART,
> which is standard...

ERESTARTNOHAND is a kernel specific errno (in a kernel tree look for
include/linux/errno.h).  ERESTARTNOHAND signals the caller that they
should restart if there is no handler.  A userspace app should never see
this (I don't know if it's even supposed to show up at the libc level).

This leads to an interesting question, if libc is looping hard on select
w/ERESTARTNOHAND then perhaps the loop is in libc (which seems unlikely).
I think a better thing than strace would be to kill -SEGV the process when
it's looping hard and see what the back trace is.

Anthony Liguori
Linux/Active Directory Interoperability
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin
E-mail: aliguor at us.ibm.com
Phone: (512) 838-1208
Tie Line: 678-1208

David Collier-Brown -- Customer Engineering <David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM>
Sent by: samba-technical-bounces+aliguor=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
31/07/2003 08:36 AM