nt-netbios-nullsession

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 28 23:42:11 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 06:29, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:
> Sorry to bother technical group, but I have been looking for this for long.
>
> Any body knows the vulnerability for "nt-netbios-nullsession".
> Samba runs in domain mode/heterogenous enviroment here. Ver 2.2.8a on solaris ( in windows domain )
>
> Security is major concern in our corp here.
>
> Is there fix out ther for null sessions.

Null sessions are only an issue in that they allow information leakage.
You can find out user-names that are valid on the system.  In most
organisations, this is available anyway, so you don't actually gain much
- but that doesn't stop those with the power to impose such
directives....

> Will this escape the ISS (security scans ) for "nt-netbios-nullsession"
> restrict anonymous = yes.

Only in Samba 3.0 - and it causes samba to be unable to perform a number
of roles on the network - in particular, you cannot be a DC, or
particpate in browsing.  In Samba 3.0 that option is an integer
'restrict anonymous = 2' does not permit the null user to connect to
IPC$

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net