behavior differences between samba and Windows server when renaming a folder

Nir Livni nirl at cyber-ark.com
Sun Jul 20 15:54:42 GMT 2003

Sure:

On the windows server there are no permission limitations. Full Control
for Everyone.
On the samba server the main share permissions are 777, and folders are
created with 755.

List of actions I performed:
1. enter the share
2. create a new folder called "aaa"
3. enter the folder
4. create a new file in the folder, and open it (I used various tests of
open file methods with and without exclusive lock on the file, and also
tried Microsoft Word)
5. while file is opened - I try to rename its parent folder ("aaa").
6. samba server succeeds, and Win2K server fails.

Regards,
Nir Livni