%a parameter in smb.conf and WinXP clients

Pavel V.Zheltobryukhov admin_okt at afei.itech.ru
Tue Jul 15 10:39:12 GMT 2003

I have a Samba 2.2.8a on Linux RedHat7.3 as PDC
  with some Windows2000 and WindowsXP clients with
  roaming profiles and OS-dependent logon scripts. So, I wrote in
  smb.conf

  [global]
  logon path = \\%N\%U\profiles\%a
  logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles\%a

  [netlogon]
  path = /home/netlogon/%a

  Logon scripts is working properly, but I found that XP clients save
  profiles in \\SERVER\USERNAME\profiles\Win2K not in
  \\SERVER\USERNAME\profiles\WinXP. After such "merging" profiles,
  Win2K user profile is garbaged. You declared that Samba 2.2.8a is
  able to distinguish WinXP and Win2K on the client side (and it
  works for logon script). How I can solve problem with profiles?

Best regards,
 Pavel V.Zheltobryukhov          mailto:admin_okt at afei.itech.ru