smbpasswd password on the command line

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 16:51:10 GMT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Jim McDonough wrote:

> in 3.0, specifying the password on the commandline has been broken for
> quite some time (since late 2001).  It went unnoticed until recently.  Some
> folks don't want to allow this for security reasons.  I've re-enabled it so
> that help/doc/smbpasswd are consistent (well, more consistent), but we
> could also just yank this.  What do folks think?

I know of a few third parties that depend on the ability to set passwords
from the command line. I vote for fixing the problem and for maintaining
this, even though at heart my security conscious, knee-jerking "Ket's make
this more secure", mind-set says "rip it out".

Then again, this is 3.0.0 - so surgeon, "Where is that rusty knife?"

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org