smbpasswd password on the command line

Anthony Liguori aliguor at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 11 15:25:22 GMT 2003

I think we should re-enable the password on the command line but then also
introduce an environmental variable and deprecate the password on the
command line.

At least on Linux, env vars are not world readable and can be used just as
easily as command line.

Issueing something like:

SMB_PASS=test smbpasswd -a Administrator

as opposed to:

smbpasswd -a Administrator test

Anthony Liguori
Linux/Active Directory Interoperability
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin
E-mail: aliguor at us.ibm.com
Phone: (512) 838-1208
Tie Line: 678-1208

Jim McDonough/Portland/IBM at IBMUS