refactoring idmap code in smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jul 10 18:25:39 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 07:59:59AM +0000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> So when we update a user's full name with user manager, we are happy to
> just leave the nsswtich data stale?  All other winbind users get updated - why
> should users on a Samba PDC be made different?

Hmm, let's think - if it was a unix user
from /etc/passwd - would we update the full name in
/etc/passwd ?  Or from NIS ? No ? Well I think we have the answer
then.

Remember - the thing to understand is these accounts
are *UNIX ACCOUNTS* ! They're just being stored in
winbindd.

Think of them that way and you'll get past the problems
your having with conceptualising this.  The UNIX accounts
are decoupled from the SAM. That's the way this was
designed (you should know - you designed it :-).

These are just new UNIX accounts- nothing more.

Jeremy.