refactoring idmap code in smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 9 17:28:25 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:30:11AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 05:06:11PM +0000, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > >
> > > How do we do this ? The new concept is that winbindd can
> > > be a source of accounts
> >
> > By "accounts" here btw. I mean UNIX accounts only - not
> > SAM entries with all the extra stuff. Pure and simple
> > UNIX uids and groups.
>
> This is an amazingly simple and effective concept ...

As we store them as the same strings that are in /etc/passwd
and /etc/group it means you could back up the winbindd local
db into a passwd or group file by doing a tdb traverse and
printing out the strings. Likewise to import a passwd or
group file into it. It's really easy and clean ! I really
love this design (but I'm biased :-).

Jeremy.