CVS update: samba/source/passdb

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Wed Jul 9 15:32:38 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 17:18, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:52:48PM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 16:23, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > > If the ocde is not ready, then it is not useful for the 3.0
> >
> > I agree, it was not a proposal for 3.0, but jeremy's an ugly hack, we
> > need to cure it in the 3.0.x (x > 0) development process.
>
> It's not an ugly hack, as I haven't finished committing the
> cache yet. Also it's based on the printing code caches,
> which work well, have been tested to destruction here at
> HP and also scales up to buggery. Please explain why it is
> an 'ugly hack' ?

A) the code that save the SAM_ACCOUNT in tdbsam only contain data that
are interesitng to the backend not every data that maybe useful for
cahcing.

B) you exposed to the extern code that was meant to stay in tdbsam and
be modifiable without care to other subsystem, mixing all together is
not good design.

C) it would have been easier for you to copy out only the relevant part
of the code you needed and change it to your needs for the cache.
duplicating code in this case would have been better imho, than sharing.

D) I do not see why you want a cache there, and which races it may
introduce, I see many spots, but I will not comment on that until I see
the code.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399