Bug #166

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jul 3 07:43:19 GMT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:02:50AM +0000, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > I have now barrell tested your patch. We are now able to use MMC Computer
> > Manager from Windows XP Pro to set ACLs on shares. Thank you - it works.
> >
> > We are not yet able to use the MMC Computer Manager to manage users and
> > groups using this tool - but that was not part of the reported bug. Looks
> > like we will need to tell people to use the Server Tool for NT4 for that.
>
> Please log a bug against that - we need to be able to use the MMC
> on XP to manage Samba PDC's.

Nope! I will NOT do this. It is apparently not our bug! It is a
pre-meditated feature!

According to M$ documentation, the MMC ComputerManagement snap-in can not
be used to manage domain users and groups, for that my dear watson you
need the Active Directory User and Groups tool. Well, one gets that only
with Win2K Server and upwards - AND - it does not connect to pre-Win2K
domains.

This means that the only solution M$ offer is use the Server Tools on
Win2K or WinXPP. This tool does work against Samba-3.0.0-Beta2.

M$'s only other solution is to upgrate to Win2kx and Active Directory. :-)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org