CVS update: samba/docs/docbook/smbdotconf/winbind

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Wed Jul 2 04:04:05 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:50:19AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Hello friends,
> reading again these files I came to a mad idea.
>
> It may be interesting to explore the possibility to autogenerate out
> loadparm part of the file that list all our option by parsing our xml
> documentation files.
>
> That way we can force developers to keep documentation on parameters
> consistent all the time :-)
>
> Sounds it crazy enough?
It is possible but... Main problem is that we simply don't have all needed
information in smbdotconf sources for loadparm. In the documentation we
store only context (global or share) and accessibility level of parameter
(basic,
advanced, developer, etc). To get full loadparm's table we also need type
of it (boolean, integer, string, etc) and some more specific things --
pointers for Globals' fields, pointers to processing functions, list of
lp_XXX() macro calls.

While for former set of attributes (context, accessibility level, type) it
is reasonable to generate them from XML, latter ones make this task not so
elegant. IMHO of course :)

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---