samr_open_group no supported

Xyster ! xyster_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 22:25:24 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I need some information from one of you expert Samba developers out there. I
wrote a little tool for listing users, groups, and group membership on
Windows servers using MSRPC calls. It works against Windows NT and 2000
machines, but not against a Samba server. Here's why:

To list global groups, I perform a samrQueryDisplayInfo call, with level 3
(for groups). To get the members of each group I perform a samrOpenGroup
followed by a samrQueryGroupMembers call.

To list local and built-in groups, I first perform an OpenDomain call with
either the special built-in domain sid or the server's domain sid. I follow
this up with a samrEnumDomainAliases call to get the groups/aliases. Then
for each group I do a samrOpenAlias followed by a samrGetAliasMembers query.

The tool works fine against Windows NT and Windows 2000 machines. However,
when I try it against my Samba server I get a STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED error
as a response to my samrOpenGroup request. Examining the Samba source code
revealed that this SAMR request is indeed not implemented. Any reason why
not? Is there a better, or more recommended way, of obtaining the global
groups?

Kind Regards,
Yuval