User with read only access can deny write.

Ola Lundqvist opal at debian.org
Fri Jan 31 11:34:26 GMT 2003

Hello

(I'm not subscribed to this list so please Cc: me).

I have reported an issue to the Debian bug tracking system
but the maintainer thought that it was better to ask
upstream. So now I do that. This is the first of three
issues.

The description is found in:

http://bugs.debian.org/178784

The relevant part from the initial mail sent there is pated here:

I have got a small problem. The thing is that if one use
A open a file in microsoft word without having write access
to the file the file become locked.

>From smbstatus:

19717  DENY_WRITE RDONLY     NONE             /home/pathtofile

The problem is that all other users can not write to the file
because it is locked. This is a problem here because some users need
to be able to write the file while other just have read access.

You could say that it is a bug in word but on the other hand it
should really be possible to deny write whily you do not have write
permission.

I assume that this is a bug, i.e. no check is performed to determine
if a user really can deny write to other users. Or is this a design
flaw in samba?

If you can give me an indication on where to look in the code
I'll try to make a patch for you.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal at debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal at lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |