Bug in nmbd_become_dmb.c (CVS 1.7 3.somehting) [patch]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jan 31 04:50:22 GMT 2003

Tim Potter wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:50:27AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
> > > I still think we _need_ to introduce a "server role" paramter,
> > > leaving the other active for tuning, but so that new admins will not
> > > get mad to have a decent configuration.
> > >
> > > server role = share|server|member|PDC|BDC|ADS
> > >
> > > or something like that.
> >
> > And i'm still not convinced that it adds any value.  I just adds one
> > more way to configure things (functionality we can already do) and
> > confuses people reading older, but still valid, documentation.
>
> It adds value in that Samba is easier to configure.  The smb.conf file
> is our "user interface" and it quite frankly is a big mess.  Anything
> that simplifies the configuration adds value.
>
> Tim (who promised himself not to get involved in this argument again but
> couldn't resist (-:)

My suggestion (hear me out before you bark) is that we create a new
configuration file format and a "compiler" that spits out a workable
smb.conf given input in the new format.  This would be a first step in a
long, drawn-out process that would eventually replace the current format.

First phase is designing the new format.  We should be able to come up with
a new format that does things like enforce the relationships between
parameters.

Second phase is to build tools to convert between the old and the new.  We'd
want to go both directions in order to help people covert.

Third phase is a long ways out:  It would involve replacing the current
parsing code so that we would read the new format natively rather than the
old.  The old smb.conf format would still be supported for a while using the
conversion tools.

The first phase is probably a community volunteer effort.  I don't have time
right now (so I should be keeping my mouth shut but, like Tim, I couldn't
resist) and I imagine other folks are equally busy or even moreso.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org