Samba and XP

Danny Smith dannys at cinesite.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 03:40:36 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>

>>John H Terpstra wrote:

>>>What specifically do you mean by "works"?
>>>
>>>If have a samba controlled domain. My XP machines are members of the
>>>domain. I am NOT aware of any problems. All applications work just fine
>>>whether they use local resources or domain resources.
>>>
>>>Then again, your mileage may vary. It all depends on what you mean by
>>>"works"! My crystal ball is in need of some maintenance - it does not
>>>give me a clear indication of what your needs are.
>>>

>>Also, he doesn't specify which version of Samba or what type of
>>configuration he's got going.
>>
>>My experience (which is not as first-hand as it should be) is that XP is
>>very unsure of itself in the CIFS and MS-RPC arena.  It does wierd things
>>like forgetting to register the workgroup<00> name.  Urg.  No mailslots
>>there.
>>

>Slap! Slap! Chris, you did not mention which of the XP products your are
>referring to. XP Home is an entirely different product from XP
>Professional. So 'fess up Chris, which is it? ;)
>
>PS: I was guilty of that too I note. Double slap to me! Oh, I like that!
>:)
>
>- John T.

Mike,
Maybe this isn't the best place to ask. Suggest checking the archives?
As far as I can see there's a few issues which are not irresolveable
when using XP with samba, but generally "XP Home"'s not a good bet (for
other reasons mostly).
I'm using XP (Home to my shame) with a 2.2.x server and all is well.
As the docs say "your mileage may vary".
More generally "yes it works". If it doesn't, we all want to know about it.

HTH
Danny

--
Danny Smith
Senior Systems Administrator, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd
020 7973 4000 - x4055    /    dannys at cinesite.co.uk