Samba and XP

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jan 31 01:37:48 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Mike Grube wrote:
>
> > Ok, I just wanna make sure, samba works with Windows XP right? I have
> > two computers on my network with windows XP and I was about to install
> > samba, but if it doesn't work I'm gonna freak out. Mike Grube
>
> What specifically do you mean by "works"?
>
> If have a samba controlled domain. My XP machines are members of the
> domain. I am NOT aware of any problems. All applications work just fine
> whether they use local resources or domain resources.
>
> Then again, your mileage may vary. It all depends on what you mean by
> "works"! My crystal ball is in need of some maintenance - it does not
> give me a clear indication of what your needs are.

Also, he doesn't specify which version of Samba or what type of
configuration he's got going.

My experience (which is not as first-hand as it should be) is that XP is
very unsure of itself in the CIFS and MS-RPC arena.  It does wierd things
like forgetting to register the workgroup<00> name.  Urg.  No mailslots
there.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org