incorrect password length - bug?

Pierre Belanger pbelang1 at oss.cantel.rogers.com
Wed Jan 29 19:34:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

Before writing this mail, I queried google (there's so
many Samba installation hoping I could find an answer!).
I did find an old message posted on samba-technical back in
2001 but my query did not lead me to *the* answer.

Reference:

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2001-August/015596.html

I was playing around with smbpasswd last night. I first thought
something committed in CVS broke something, I checked all changes
made since the past 1-2 days and found nothing :(  I than
downgraded to an old copie of samba I kept and was quite surprised
to see I was still having the same behavior!

Here we go. Using smbpasswd -r localhost -U <username>
if you type in the wrong current (old) password, smbd
reports:

[2003/01/29 14:13:05, 0] smbd/chgpasswd.c:check_oem_password(817)
check_oem_password: incorrect password length (1980737076).

This value comes from new_pw_len = IVAL(lmdata, 512) in
chgpasswd.c . I tried hard to find the reason, even with
debug level @ 9, I caaaaan't :(

Same behavior under both 2.2.x and 3.0.

I have to admit it was a nice XP (experience) to dig around
the source code. Perhaps I need better glasses, LOL! ;-)

Thank you,
Pierre B.