[Samba] RE: Winbind on HPUX11, Totally Stuck, Please Help

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jan 28 17:37:31 GMT 2003

Hi Everyone,
Been following this a bit; faking out nsswitch with the ldap stuff
seems like a HIGH and complicated price to pay for getting a passwd
program that will work to change passwords for standard unix users.
One of the other things I have seen is a simple script that moved
and replaced the winbind enabled nsswitch.conf with a standard one
before executing the passwd command, then moved it back.  Or even
hack a c program together that 'gets' the username,password  from
the user BEFORE it exec's the actual passwd program, so you could
minimize the amount of time the nsswitch.conf file would be in place
WITHOUT the winbind support.
Either way, this is an issue both on SUN and HP-UX systems.  For the
HP-UX customers, I'd like to see them submit enhancement requests through
their support channel tochange the behavior of the nsswitch stuff so that
we could have a code change in the OS where it belongs to deal with this.
It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease....
Hope this helps,
Don