(forw) Re: smbclient and large file support

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Tue Jan 28 05:20:48 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Brian Poole wrote:

> <..>
>
> > +  oct_it((SMB_BIG_UINT) size, 13, hb.dbuf.size);
> > +  oct_it((SMB_BIG_UINT) mtime, 13, hb.dbuf.mtime);
>
> Do you know if the tar format can have more than 11 octet digits in the
> header? The 11 digits overflow at ~8.6Gb. I haven't had time to look at
> that yet.

The ustar header format only defines 12 characters for the size and mtime
fields, and they are octal. The star archiver adds an extended header if
the size is larger than 2^^36-1 (or whatever, I would imagine it should be
an unsigned quantity ...), but clitar.c does not (yet) do that. It would
have to both be able to write and read such headers.

Regards
-----