smbclient 64-bit read/write support, and the lack thereof :-(

Neil Goldberg ngoldber at mitre.org
Mon Jan 27 17:38:00 GMT 2003

Wondering if anyone knows if it is planned, or if there are
patches for large file support in the client side of samba 2.2.x
series. I have large files on the windows side that I want to
access via smbclient (specifically smbtar), and these fail
spectacularly. You can get the filesize of a large file correctly, but
all the code that talks to the windows side (cli_*) assumes size is
32-bit, and doesn't seem to be using the newest CIFS protocol.

Any advice or suggestions?

Neil Goldberg
MITRE Corporation

PS I am aware the smbfs provides support for large files, but this is
linux specific and I am targetting Solaris.