Limitations of Samba-2.2.x as a domain member talking to an AD domain controller

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Jan 23 22:03:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:54:19AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Can anyone point me at documentation on the limitations of a downlevel
> server being a member server in an AD network?
>
> The specific case I am thinking of is a Samba-2.2.x-based server.

I don't have any documentation but I can tell you that you should have
no problems if you install your domain controller with "permissions
compatible with pre-Windows 2000 machines".  As far as I can work out
this just adds the Everyone SID to the builtin "Pre-Windows 2000
Compatible Access" group.

If this sid isn't present you'll have all sorts of weird problems to do
with anonymous access to the LSA and SAM rpc pipes.

Tim.