ld Error with solaris 8

Pierre Belanger pbelang1 at oss.cantel.rogers.com
Thu Jan 23 16:28:01 GMT 2003

Uwe E. Faber wrote:
> Hi i try to compile samba-2.2.7a on a Solaris 8 System, first i make
> the ./configure after this i try a make and then i got the error:
>
> using LIBS = -lsec -lgen -lsocket -lnsl  -ldl
> Linking bin/smbd
> ld: fatal: file rpc_server/srv_pipe.o: unknown file type
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to bin/smbd
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

It's not a Samba problem. It is a compiling or linking problem on
your box. You should use the "samba" mailing-list, not this list
for this issue and add more info to your mail:

- which compiler are you using, Sun Workshop / Forte or gcc.
   which version of the compiler?
- which linker , Solaris' or GNU "ld"?
- "rm rpc_server/srv_pipe.o" and recompile this file, I don't
   think this will fix the problem.

Try the following command, you should get the following output:
# file rpc_server/srv_pipe.o
rpc_server/srv_pipe.o:  ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable SPARC Version 1

If you use Solaris "ld", make sure you have the latest patches.
I don't think it's "ld", I would suspect the compiler.

With GCC 2.95.3 using Sun's "ld" I've never had problems compiling
Samba.

Pierre B.