Auth question.

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Wed Jan 22 11:15:00 GMT 2003

I'm pretty sure that Kerberos uses port 88, but that's just for
authentication.  Port 445 is used for connecting to shares.

We've been running tests blocking ports.  With ports 137 - 139 and 445
blocked for UDP and TCP, the join fails but the computer name is still
entered in the AD.  With just ports 137 - 139 blocked (445 enabled), the
join succeeds and all client share operations seem to function correctly
as long as there is no NetBIOS name resolution involved.

Hope this helps.

Ken