Auth question.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jan 22 06:42:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:30:45AM +0000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:13:38PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > I *think* it's a rule that Kerberos authentication is always used with
> > SMB over TCP (port 445) and that Kerberos is *not* used with SMB over NBT
> > (port 139).
> >
> > Am I wrong?
>
> I think you are wrong.  As far as I know there is no per-port stuff.

Quite possibly.  That's why I asked.  :)

...but which clients would actually do this, and under what conditions?

Of the Windows clients and servers, only W2K and XP-pro know how to work
with Kerberos (does /Me handled Kerberos auth?).  I *imagine* that those
systems use port 445 instead of 139 whenever they can.  If both client and
server know how to handle Kerberos then they likely also know how to use
port 445.

So, unless I'm totally insane, the likelihood of Kerberos auth being used
over port 139 is low.

Totally Insane -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org