changes to passdb backend defaults in 3.0 alpha21

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Jan 21 04:33:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:04:24PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> > The following code appears in source/params/loadparm.c from 3.0alpha21:

> > #ifdef WITH_LDAP_SAMCONFIG
> >         string_set(&Globals.szLdapServer, "localhost");
> >         Globals.ldap_port = 636;
> >         Globals.szPassdbBackend = str_list_make("ldapsam unixsam", NULL);
> > #else
> >         Globals.szPassdbBackend = str_list_make("smbpasswd unixsam", NULL);
> > #endif /* WITH_LDAP_SAMCONFIG */

> > Would it be possible to revert this change with respect to the 'passdb
> > backend' default?  This is a very awkward default for packagers who wish
> > to enable LDAP support in their binaries, but still need to serve the
> > needs of users who are not (yet) using LDAP.

> I just checked and this is still in SAMBA_3_0.  You really don't need
> to get LDAP support.  It's for a the 2.2 compatible parameters.  The
> intent is to work like Samba 2.2 in the sense that with you enable LDAP
> support, that what you get.

> Or am I missing the gist of your question.

Yes, sorry, this was clarified for me on IRC after I posted.  I
misunderstood the --with-ldapsam option to mean "enable the LDAP
backend", not "enable 2.2 ldap compat".

The consensus on IRC, as I understood it, was that it would be
beneficial to have another option to configure that would enforce the
LDAP dependency -- so that a failure to locate LDAP libs would cause the
build to error out instead of giving misbuilt binaries.  Do you agree?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer