Samba 3.0 and Privilege Management : some questions

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jan 14 12:06:01 GMT 2003

Elia,

>    I would like to know whether it is expected in a short term the role
> management assignment of administrative privileges to different users (apart
> from root) for the implementation of administrative burden like account
> operator, machine account, etc. As an example, I tried to assign a non-root
> user in the "Domain Admins" ldap group (assigned by smbgroupedit to the
> built-in Domain Admins) but user manager for Domain does not allow me to
> create new users.

That is something I am looking at at the moment. Right now Samba has
only extremely primitive privilege support and the privileges code
needs a fairly major update to allow it to be used effectively for the
sort of thing you want. I am not sure whether this functionality will
make it into 3.0.

>    On the same subject, I wish I could know whether it will be possible to
> manager the Samba 3.0 Domain from Windows NT user manager for Domain in a
> stable way in a forthcoming version (Sorry for this question but my customer
> is used to work with this GUI in old NT environments).

Quite a few basic management tasks will be possible, but don't expect
all remote management tasks to work.

Cheers, Tridge