Samba 3.0 and Privilege Management : some questions

PINTO ELIA PINTO.ELIA at INSEDIA.INTERBUSINESS.IT
Tue Jan 14 10:39:00 GMT 2003

Hi to all

   I am testing  the latest alpha version of Samba 3.0 in an environment
with the ldap backend using openldap and the smbldap tool from
http://samba.idealx.org .We have implemented a domain with Samba acting as
both PDC and BDC: for the account synchronization we are using the replica
mechanism from openldap. Furthermore, I have patched version of smbldap tool
to be integrated in Samba 3.0 (e.g. in the automatic execution of
smbgroupedit, etc.).

   I would like to know whether it is expected in a short term the role
management assignment of administrative privileges to different users (apart
from root) for the implementation of administrative burden like account
operator, machine account, etc. As an example, I tried to assign a non-root
user in the "Domain Admins" ldap group (assigned by smbgroupedit to the
built-in Domain Admins) but user manager for Domain does not allow me to
create new users.

   On the same subject, I wish I could know whether it will be possible to
manager the Samba 3.0 Domain from Windows NT user manager for Domain in a
stable way in a forthcoming version (Sorry for this question but my customer
is used to work with this GUI in old NT environments).

				Thanks in advance for your reply.
				Elia Pinto