Change Notification

Juergen Hasch Hasch at t-online.de
Mon Jan 13 22:08:01 GMT 2003

Jeremy,

I'm having problems with change notification in Samba 2.2.x under Linux
since you changed the signal
handling stuff some time ago.
An application I'm using always complains about missing change
notification, although it used to work.
I always failed to find out what's wrong, but now I know :-)

What is happening is that Samba receives a change notification signal
from the Linux kernel and sometimes
simply does not process it, which means that no further signals will be
send by the Kernel (DN_MULTISHOT isn't set)
for the same event.
Processing of the received signal happens for file rename and delete in
but not for copying.
In reply.c/reply_write_and_X() I added  a call to
    process_pending_change_notify_queue((time_t)0);
 and now change notification works again for my testcase here.

I'm sure you now a better place where
process_pending_change_notify_queue() should go to catch
file copy events :-)

..Juergen