More Kerberos-related questions

Kenneth Stephen y2kmvs at ebiz.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jan 8 22:21:03 GMT 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:03:03AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why you would want to do this however, when you could just
> > mount the DFS stuff onto Linux (I assume there is a client...).
>
> A quick web search shows me that there are DFS clients available for
> Linux; but perhaps there's a licensing issue?

Steve,

	Such is the case. The only one that I would consider (if I had the
budget) would be the one from Entegrity - everything else looks iffy.
Unfortunately, I dont have the budget. If I bring up the issue with
management they would simply tell me to get rid of Linux and run AIX[1]
(which does have DFS[2]). Fortunately for me, I intend to support a
development environment with this setup so a performance problem due to
convoluted architecture is not an issue (i.e. use Samba to get access to
DFS).

Thanks,
Kenneth

[1] You may ask "Why dont you run AIX then"? The answer is : hardware. I
have plenty of Intel boxes (which wont run AIX) lying around but no spare
RS/6000 boxes.
[2] In this case, the DFS license would technically cost me nothing since
I work at IBM. Of course, IBM has dropped support for DFS, but thats
another story.