Kix Scripting KX RPC Service

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Jan 8 05:48:01 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:42:39PM +0930, Barry Robinson wrote:

> Not sure if this is the right mailing list to direct this to, but just
> wondering if anyone would know of any functionality in using the KXRPC
> service through Samba?
>
> Basically you have to install the KXRPC service on a Windows NT based
> server in order to get the Username and Ingroup functionality to work
> with Windows 9x machines. This is done through RPC calls from what I can
> figure.

You could write your own KXRPC service that would run on Samba.  There
are two ways to do it:

	a) Use Ethereal and lots of test scripts to work out what RPC
	calls are being made and their arguments.  This is how all the
	domain logon, printing, registry and other RPC support was
	written for Samba.

	b) Ask the author nicely for the source code (actually only the
	IDL file for the KXRPC service should do) and write support from
	there.

You'll probably end up writing an ethereal dissector either way unless
you like staring at hex dumps and Samba log files until your eyes hurt.

Both methods are a lot of work but option b) is a huge shortcut.

Tim.