group mapping and 3.0 pre21

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Jan 3 18:48:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 08:52, grobe at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I finally got the group mapping with smbgroupedit work fine here. The
> problem was that I had to fix the group type of my windows-groups on the samba-pdc.
> When I did a smbgroupedit -v -l, I got some groups with group type = unknow.
> With smbgroupedit -c (mygroup) -t d or -t l I made them local or domain
> groups. Now I can see and use them on the client.
>
> The next issue here is how to get my "domain users" into the "power users"
> on all my clients. I really don't want to do a "net localgroup" on all 100
> client machines... But this is a Windows problem, not a samba problem.

since you're using samba3
you can simply add all your power_users to a new unix group,
map that unix group to a new domain group,
and add the new domain group to the local power_users group on
the workstations

it's not a big deal for me to do that because i can just roll out a new
system image with the correct group memberships...
if you can't do that you might try to figure out a way to make a logon
script that does what you want (i'm not sure that's possible)

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>