At least some people appreciate the effort we put in

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Jan 2 04:23:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

Last Sunday I saw an email in the samba-technical mailing list from
someone who complained that a certain feature of smbclient/smbtar did not
work. Specifically, he had complained the week before that files larger
than 4GB were not being handled properly when backed up from a Windows
system. Herb Lewis worked on it and provided some patches. Then, on
Sunday, he complained again that while the patches worked for getting
files, but in putting a 4+GB file to a Windows system failed.

So, despite having other things to do and having a family etc, I spent
time duplicating the problem, tracked the issues down and fixed it, and
then tested that the files were transferred without corruption. Moving and
comparing a 5GB file with a copy takes a while :-(

Then I supplied the patches to the person who complained and made sure
they were applied to two of the three branches of Samba that we care
about, and would have applied it to the third branch if Jeremy hadn't
beat me to it.

However, I was staggered when several days went by and I received no feed
back from the person who complained. Certainly no thankyou, but not even
something to say that the patches worked or didn't.

However, last night, within seconds of midnight, I got this from someone
else.

>Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 03:36:19 -0600 (CST)
>From: lelie at airmail.net
>To: rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
>Subject: samba profiles util
>
>hey guy, i just want to thank you for the profiles util in samba.
>it saved my life.  i had to modify a bunch of terminal server roamining
>profiles because i had to move the servers from one domain to another.
>
>if you ever stop by in the dallas area, i would buy you a drink.

So, while it is clear that there are assholes in the world,
there are also those who make it all worth while.

Sure, you could counter that I chose to work on the software, and should
therefore be content with the opportunity to contribute, but in my view
that is crap :-)

Of course, we could also do with more people who contribute, as well.

Regards
------
Richard Sharpe, www.richardsharpe.com, rsharpe[at}richardsharpe{dot]com
sharpe/at\ethereal?dot?com, sharpe\at/samba<dot>com