Samba doesn't free network resource with XP clients

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Feb 28 23:30:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:23:16PM +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted my problem to samba at samba.org as well, I think it boils down to
> the post below. Is there a known fix to this problem ?

That is an old message, and I am sure we would not have changed Samba to
send all connected SMB's a "disconnect".  Doing so can have very bad
consequences.  There is another Windows KB article which explains, for
example, that this causes clients of a W2K server that are behind a NAT to
have their sessions shut down if a new client connects.  The new client
sends VC=0 and the W2K server (since it sees all connections as coming
from a single IP) disconnects all the other clients.  Ouch.

Microsoft has a patch for this, I believe.

Anyway, I did not see your port to samba at samba.org so I have to guess that
your server is keeping TCP connections open until they time out.  Is that
correct?  Which problem are you trying to solve?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org