Authenticating WinXP with Samba 3.0 CVS (plaintext) problem

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Feb 26 21:15:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:54:00PM -0500, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:39:26PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:59:58PM -0500, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> > > I have a WinXP box that has plaintext password enabled.  I have a Samba 3.0
> > > CVS server that also does not use encrypted passwords (uses PAM).  I cannot
> > > connect to shares from the WinXP box because apparantly the non-encrypted
> > > password is sent as the NT password, and nothing as the LM password.
> >
> > You mean that XP sends the plaintext password in the Unicode Password
> > field?  That's sick.  Does it send it as ASCII or Unicode.
>
> That is correct, and it is in Unicode indeed (2 bytes per character).

...and there's no ASCII password?

Unicode Plaintext is a very unusual combination.  I have tested this
combination before (Samba can be made to do it) but since we've never had
anything to test against...

> Would a tcpdump of the dialogue also be acceptable? :)  I can of course also
> send the samba.log and/or SMBtconX.* files etc...

Tcpdump is perfect.  :)

Oh!  ...but use a bogus password, or change the password after you've
captured the data.  I don't want your "real" auth data.  :)

Send directly to me, please.  If anyone else on the Team wants a look I'll
share.  I may run it past a few other folks as well, and I would love to
have the information for my book.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org