Authenticating WinXP with Samba 3.0 CVS (plaintext) problem

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Wed Feb 26 17:59:58 GMT 2003

I have a WinXP box that has plaintext password enabled.  I have a Samba 3.0
CVS server that also does not use encrypted passwords (uses PAM).  I cannot
connect to shares from the WinXP box because apparantly the non-encrypted
password is sent as the NT password, and nothing as the LM password.  The
protocol that was negotiated was NT LM 0.12.  From the code, it seems that the
Samba server believes that plaintext passwords should only be sent for the
protocols < PROTOCOL_NT1 (anything other than NT LM 0.12 or NT LANMAN 1.0).

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I missing something here?  Getting WinXP to
work with plaintext passwords is rather important for my setup.

	Kris
--
Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,