Recovery from Domain/WINS Outage - Didn't work well

Hall, Ken (ECSS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Mon Feb 24 16:04:15 GMT 2003

We're using Samba 2.2.5 and 2.2.7 in SECURITY=DOMAIN mode.

This morning we lost contact with our PDC, and for about 2 hours, users were unable to logon.  After chasing this down, we determined that we were also unable to contact the WINS server defined in
smb.conf.  Our backup WINS server was available, but it seems Samba only supports one WINS server in smb.conf, so this didn't help much.  After manually switching to the other WINS server, we were
able to connect.

We're still new with this, and so far Samba isn't looking too reliable to our management.  This is the second time a WINS-related problem has knocked us down while the Windows servers remained
available.

I'm assuming we're still only allowed to specify a single WINS server.  Does anyone have any idea if this will be fixed anytime soon?

Should Samba have recovered from the DC outage?  It appears that after losing contact with the DC, it went back to WINS, and tried to get a new list.  Does it only try the first DC on the list, or
does it work down till it finds a good one?  Am I correct in assuming that being unable to connect to the WINS server would prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.