win2000 server, linux client

Marco Eyzaguirre 25149 at upch.edu.pe
Fri Feb 21 19:07:20 GMT 2003

hello everyone, im new in this list and i have this problem..

I have a win2000 domain controller in subnet 172.17.0.x and a linux
server in 172.17.20.x  (DHCP assign) The DC not solve the ip /
netbiosname relation ("A" record i think..) like a win98 / NT /2000
If i "ping" the linux server from outside 172.17.20.x i receive this :

ping 172.17.20.1 --> response
ping dgalinux --> time out (dgalinux is the netbiosname of the linux
server)

Is this a problem of samba? i was searching a solution, patch or
something like that, but i found nothing.. i have Redhat linux 8.0 and
Samba 2.2.5

Thanks for your help.

Marco Eyzaguirre
Lima - Perú
(sorry for my terrible english.. i speak spanish..)