Need help !!

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Feb 21 12:56:51 GMT 2003

Dirk,

> Several times I like to connect my WinXP client to the Fileserver and I
can
> see him but I cannot the directories how does it comes ??
[...]
> Samba 2.0.4 fileserver

1)  the "samba-technical" list is for discussion of Samba *development*
issues, primarily by the Samba developers themselves - not for general usage
queries - you should use the "samba" list for general usage queries - see
http://us2.samba.org/samba/archives.html for details of the lists and their
purposes.

2)  Samba 2.0.4 is quite old now, and there have been many problems fixed in
the later versions, particularly when trying to interwork with WinXP
systems.  I've never tried to connect Samba and WinXP myself,  but I'm sure
you should be using at least the Samba 2.2.x series of releases - currently
2.2.7a is the latest, but 2.2.8 is imminent.  If I remember rightly, at
least Samba 2.0.7 was required to interwork happily with Win2K, never mind
WinXP.

If you still have trouble when using 2.2.7a, then post details of your
problem to the "samba" list - the details should include *exactly* what
happens when you try to connect to Samba and/or view the folders, and any
error messages that appear in the Samba log files.

If you mean that you can see the Samba server in the network neighbourhood
(browse list), but, when you try to view the contents of a share, your
username & password is always rejected, then please say so.

If you believe there is actually a *bug* in Samba then it _might_ be
appropriate to post the query here.

Hope this helps.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK